21 October 2006

Rough justice

Interviewed two offenders in prison who had systematically kicked and punched a man, leaving him lifeless on the ground. Witnesses said they saw them repeatedly kick the victm in the head and body. The police photograps showed the grotesque results - eyes puffed up to the size (and colour) of oranges. It made me feel sick just reading the case papers.

How is it that men can inflict violence on each other like this? I sometimes feel I am unusual for having such deep abhorrence of male aggression. I could never imagine myself intentionally harming anyone. Yet it is clear that not everyone feels that way.

Interviewing violent offenders nearly always produces a a similar background story of parental rejection and / or abuse; fragmentary schooling; early addiction to heavy drinking or hard drugs. It's quite depressing.

The older I get, the more I recognise how crucial the early infancy / childhood period is. That's when the foundations for future behaviour appear to be laid. Trying to change habits and attitudes in adults is such a hard task.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home