14 March 2007

The screen will see you now

A visit to my GP's surgery, where I unexpectedly found myself face-to-face with a computer screen, rather than a human being, at the reception area. A notice explained that it is the new way to book in. Make a series of choices on the touch screen, confirm your identity and then take a seat, please.

I meekly did as instructed, and experienced a strange sense of disconnection, sitting in the waiting room while others also silently arrived via the computer terminal. What was distinctly missing was the usual friendly buzz of conversation and introductions at the reception desk.

Not for the first time with regard to technological advances I wondered who exactly was benefitting. I came down firmly on the side of it being surgery staff, plus the bonus for those hard-up GPs of reduced reception staff costs. I might be wrong, but I can't imagine that many patients prefer communicating with a bland screen rather than the friendly face of a real human being.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home