04 September 2012

Rattle and roll


I’m not usually a name-dropper, but...  

We were in London for our wedding anniversary and treated ourselves to a box (oh yes!) at the Proms for the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra and their conductor – a musical hero of mine – Sir Simon Rattle.

It was a wonderful concert, opening with Ligeti’s Atmospheres.  An unusual piece, and so rich in texture that you could almost reach and touch it.  It ended with a diminuendo to profound silence.  But Sir Simon kept beating time and, without a break, the high strings moved seamlessly into Wagner’s shimmering Lohengrin prelude. 

Atmosphere piled on Atmospheres.  It was a moment of musical intensity that reduced me to tears. 

On the Saturday, we were walking in a small park in Bloomsbury.  And there,  relaxing with his family,  was Simon Rattle.  I told him how moved I had been.  He showed what appeared to be genuine interest, and we exchanged a few words about the concert.

He could easily have shooed me away as he probably gets a fair bit of unwanted attention.  But he didn’t.  And I feel  richer for meeting him.       



Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home