05 May 2011

Voting for lethargy

Voter turnout for the election today seemed, at least locally, even poorer than normal.  And that's saying something.

I trod a lonely path to the poll station and had a sense that I was intruding on the officials, who stopped reading their newspapers just long enough to draw a line through my name on the register and hand me my voting slips.  

A particular culture seems to have developed over the last few elections that it's perfectly fine for the polling clerks shamelessly to tune into the radio, browse the newspapers, read a book.  Dealing with any stray voters who chance by seems a mild irritation.  

Voter apathy now seems to have spread to the officials. 


3 Comments:

At 4:18 pm, Blogger DE said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 4:19 pm, Blogger DE said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 4:23 pm, Blogger DE said...

Too many mistypings in my previous attempts to publish. What I meant to say was:
I wonder if the officials will have woken up a little by the time I follow in your footsteps later this evening...I'll let you know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home