18 March 2007

Chinese medicine

An unscheduled visit to the local minor injuries unit, having thoughtlessly introduced a sharp 4-inch nail to the soft palm of my hand at some velocity. A form of handshake that I could well have done without.

While sitting in the treatment room, wondering how much it was going to hurt, my eyes roamed to the multiple packs of dressings, bandages and slings stacked on the shelves. What caught my attention was the universal endorsement on the packaging: "Made in China".

What isn't made in China now, and air-freighted or transported by sea thousands of miles across the globe?

It's all about economics and cheap labour and production costs, of course. But do the sums still add up if the true environmental impact of such global trading is factored in?

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 5:20 am, Blogger Weasle said...

Has there ever been a time when someone has made a scheduled visit to a minor injuries unit do you think? You know; Ring ring, ring ring. "Hello, I'm about to have an accident,can I book an appointment please?"

"Of course. Will you require stitches or just heavy bandaging?"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home