27 July 2011

Sun-shine and fog

I'm endlessly fascinated by the way newspapers treat stories, and their headlines.

The Sun is in a league of its own, with a plethora of  memorable offerings, from 'Freddie Starr ate my hamster', 'Headless man found in topless bar' and - my most recent favourite - 'Discrim up North' (referring to an initiative to tackle discrimination of Scousers, Geordies and others living north of Watford).

Headlines, of course, are supposed to illuminate, tease and amuse.  But never obfuscate.  (Now there's a snappy one...)  So what to make of The Guardian's page 15 lead today -  'Planning rules bonfire sparks green belt alert'?

It took several moments, mouthing the words silently, for me to get it.

Or is it just me?

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home